Gluten Free Resources
According to Wikipedia, a ‘gluten-free diet’ is free of the following: wheat (including kamut and spelt), barley, rye, and triticale. Some people can tolerate oats while others cannot.
Gluten is a protein found in the above items.
“Even if oats are included, it is important to source these from a facility that is gluten free, as most oats are contaminated during processing” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet).
Ingredients you can substitute out to make items gluten free, peanut free, egg free, etc.:
The following are from Elizabeth Gordon’s “Allergy-Free Desserts” (thank you, Randy for sharing!):
• Xanthan gum, or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free All Purpose Baking Powder instead of flour
• Ground flax seed meal instead of egg whites
• Organic palm fruit oil shortening instead of butter
• Sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter
Denice Wai of Six Senses will bake gluten-free mooncakes
Be experimental and make gluten-free mooncakes yourself (thanks to my friend, Dawn for the link!):
Stores in HK that sell gluten-free products (thanks so much, to my friend Randy & CL for helping compile this list!):
Welspring Rm 303, 3/F, Keen Hung Commercial Bldg, 80 QRE, Wanchai, HK
email: email@example.com, www.welspring.hk, free delivery (including Discovery Bay, Ma Wan, Tung Chung) for purchases over $500 only! Yolanda, the former long-time manager at Health Gate has started this new venture to offer organic, gluten-free, fair trade, vegetarian, raw foods (including organic toddler formula); natural and organic personal care products: natural laundry/cleaning products, air purifies and even organic wine.
Health Gate 8/F, Hung Tak Building, 106-108 Des Voeux Rd, Central, HK
email: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.health-gate.com
Largest gluten-free selection I’ve seen so far in HK! Definitely worth checking out.
Large selection of natural & organic foods & beverages; natural & organic personal care products, natural laundry/cleaning products, etc.
Caters to customers w/various special diet requirements (i.e. gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, diabetic friendly, vegetarian, etc.)
Simply Organic 1 & 2/F, 21 Canal Road West, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, Reservation: 2488-0138, Email: email@example.com
– Join as member for $20/yr or $10/half year which entitles you to member’s cafe and enjoy home bakery and special organic lunches. www.simply-organic.com.hk
Organic to Home Shop A, G/F, World Trust Tower, 50 Stanley Street, Central, HK 2523-3123
Little Giant 15/F, Chung Wai Commercial Building, 447-449 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, 2573-3610
– From Foodie issue 10 May 2010 “[Little Giant] sells a whole range of non-dairy deserts, form jelly crystals to sweetened cream substitute, that allow you to create delicious desserts which taste exactly like their dairy equivalent.”
– From friend, Randy–looks like Little Giant is a health store with diary/wheat/gluten-free products, supplements, organic food and even air purifiers!
Health Naturally Unit 8, 7/F, Treasure Centre, 42 Hung To Rd., Kwun Tong, 2155-3036.
– Has a huge variety of items imported from around the world. Also sells organic canned milk and dairy milk for babies (recommended > 6 mo old to prevent milk allergies) & toddlers.
– Has an online store!
– Shelley Case, BSc, RD Gluten-free Diet: A comprehensive resource guide
– Elizabeth Gordon Allergy-Free Desserts